Visa and Residence

To study at Leuphana College

If you have been admitted to study at Leuphana College and are not a German citizen, you will need a visa to enter Germany for study purposes. In addition, you need a valid health insurance and must register your residence in Lüneburg at the registration office of the city of Lüneburg.

Entry and residence

  • Visa regulations
  • Health insurance
  • Registration of residence
  • Residence permit / Electronic title of residence (eAT)

Visa regulations

In general, foreign nationals who wish to study in Germany must apply for a student visa in order to enter Germany. Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa because it cannot be changed into a student visa.

Nationals of EU-countries, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need a visa.

Citizens from countries that are exempted from the EU visa regulations, such as Australia, Brasil, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Republic Korea and USA, may enter Germany without a visa, but must apply for a residence permit within two weeks upon arrival.

Visa applications must be made well in advance at the competent German embassy or consulate in the home country. The relevant local office for foreign nationals in Germany, e.g. Lüneburg, must approve the application and the German embassy or consulate is not allowed to issue a visa prior to this approval. Therefore, it might take up to 3 months from application date to issue date.

Please check details regarding the application process and accompanying documents with your competent German embassy/consulate!

Foreign nationals can also obtain a visa that is valid for the entire duration of their stay in Germany. In this case, no application for an electronic title of residence (eAT) is necessary. Please contact your consulate to find out more about this option.

For further and frequently updated information, please visit the websites of your competent consulate or of the Federal Foreign Office.

Health insurance

In Germany health insurance is compulsory. Therefore, international students must provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage during their stay in Germany. Travel insurance will not be accepted!

Students from countries that have signed the Treaty on Health Care Abroad must only provide proof of health insurance in their home country and along their electronic health insurance card/AT 11. Please note that for working during the study period a public health insurance in germany is compulsory for all students, even for EU citizens.

Students from other countries can take out public student health insurance in Germany at a cost of 105 euros per month. It can be arranged in advance online. Alternatively it is possible to enter Germany with a travel insurance and take out health insurance within seven days after arrival. Foreign health insurance will usually not be accepted except if unlimited coverage is guaranteed. In specific cases students can be excused from the health insurance compulsory. Students aged over 30 must take out private health insurance within the first week upon arrival

Please find more information on the German health insurance system here.

Registration of residence

All international students, including those who do not need a visa, must register their place of residence in Lüneburg with the local Registration Office.

The registration of exchange students will be effected during the orientation week. Please register on your own, if you arrive earlier.

The following documents are necessary for registration:

Please note that you must give notice of your departure.

Residence permit / Electronic title of residence (eAT)

A visa allows you to enter Germany and to stay for a maximum of 90 days. If you will stay for a longer period of study you must apply for a residence permit at the local office for foreign nationals within 2 weeks upon arrival in Germany. The electronic title of residence (eAT) will be issued as a document in credit card format within 4 to 6 weeks. Please note that you are not allowed to leave and re-enter Germany until you have received the eAT. The cost for the eAT amounts to 100 euros for a period of stay up to 12 months.

To apply for the eAT, students need the following documents:

  • Fully completed and signed application for a title of residence
  • Valid passport including visa (with a validity period of at least 6 months or preferably one year)
  • 1 up-to-date biometric passport-size photo
  • Letter of acceptance and confirmation of registration issued by Leuphana University of Lüneburg
  • Proof of blocked bank account (e.g. Fintiba, X-patrio, Deutsche Bank) with the complete amount (5118 € per semester).
  • Proof of unlimited health insurance coverage in German

The International Office will assist you in applying for the eAT within the scope of the orientation week.


The Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde) is located in the Lüneburg Bürgeramt:

Bardowicker Str. 23
D-21335 Lüneburg

Please make an appointment!
Fon: +49.4131.3093252